[Tilesathome] Which layers for captionless?

spaetz osm at sspaeth.de
Sat Jun 7 06:55:23 BST 2008

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:53:07AM -0700, Alan Millar wrote:
> Which layers should have captionless tiles?  If I understand the current
> wiki instructions, there should only be captionless tiles at layers 8 and
> 12.

Layers usually refer to the different map layers that we have, eg the cycle layer, the maplint layer, the "tile" (default) layer. Do you mean zoom levels (zoom 8 - zoom 12)?

> I've been trying to do some lowzoom cleanup in layers 8 through 11 for
> various locations.  I have found in the tile browser that there are
> captionless tiles in layers 9, 10, and 11 in some places.  I am assuming
> that these can/should be deleted, and there should only be "tile" layer
> tiles in 9, 10, and 11.  Does that sound correct?

The captionless layer, as it is originally intented was thought to only exist on z12, so that lowzoom can stitch things together using this layer. Only tile layer was supposed to exist on z9-11. So yes, you are right.

However, technically, there is nothing that prevents people from uploading e.g. z9 captionless tiles, which they could use to stitch even lower zoom levels together. lowzoom rendering/uploading is quite a decentralized/individual thing currently, and the processes are much less defined/clear than the kind of standardized z12 tileset rendering process.

Hope that helps,
spaetz