[Tilesathome] Proposal: Keeping tileset as one file

Jiri Klement jiri.klement at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 07:20:38 BST 2008

>  Instead of proclaiming a bottleneck, why not show us?

You can test on t at h server how much faster is copying one big file
than hounders of small files.

My tests shows that copying 100 tilesets (700kB, 138 actuall tiles)
over nfs on LAN needs 8 seconds for 1 file per tileset and 65 seconds
for one file per tile.

>  Things I can see in favor of these aggregated files would be that you would
> probably need to look at most at 4 of these on any higher zoomlevel (~z14
> and up) to get a whole area out of them.

Don't forget about blank tiles. Serving tiles with zoom bigger than
z12 requires no mysql access, blankness info is saved in tileset file.