[Tilesathome] Long upload times

Dirk-Lüder Kreie osm-list at deelkar.net
Thu Jun 12 19:07:07 BST 2008

Jiri Klement schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> It still takes quite a long time to upload tiles, even now when server
> doesn't give a job when upload queue is full. Could server be changed
> to give job only when queue is at most 50% full?
>
> Long upload times are anoying for me because I run t at h client on
> computer I switch off at night. In the evening I have to either wait
> or waste already rendered tiles.

The problem is that this is an optimization problem, as you can't have
everything.

The current priority is to get the bottleneck never idle, that's the
server, currently. For that we need a queue, because the tileset
rendering times vary greatly (a couple of seconds to several hours).

So to reasonably throttle the clients, the server would need to know
beforehand, when a tileset would be returned, and how long it would need
to process it. Because that is impossible we have a queue.

Because the queue is full almost all of the time, we throttle
render-jobs, so the clients can have a little shorter upload queues.

The current value is again chosen so, that the queue of the server will
not run empty.

Now we could make the queue on the server bigger, but that would
increase latency, which is not really wanted, because long latency is
what we don't like with mapnik.

We could decrease the amount of jobs handed out while the queue is
filled to a certain percentage, but we did have some near-underruns
already, so we shouldn't do that for the sake of tile throughput.

So to ensure that A) we get the fastest overall rendering speed and B)
the time from render to processed upload is not too long we need the
queue system as it is.

So the current workaround (until new server hardware arrives) would be
to stop the client *in time* before bedtime.

If you stop it via stopfile.txt (or ./tilesGen.pl stop) it will finish
rendering the current tileset and then upload it before exiting.

--

Dirk-Lüder "Deelkar" Kreie
Bremen - 53.0952°N 8.8652°E