[Tilesathome] Long upload times

spaetz osm at sspaeth.de
Fri Jun 13 06:52:54 BST 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 08:32:50PM +0200, Jiri Klement wrote:
> I understand that queue length is compromise between speed and latency.
>
> If you think current queue length is alright then keep it. I
> personally think that it could be reduced, it didn't get bellow 200
> tilesets last week.
>
> Anyway the maximum length of queue should be increased. It doesn't
> matter whether tiles wait in queue or in client computer waiting for
> upload.
>
> I suggest to give jobs only when queue contains less than 600 tilesets
> but allow uploads until queue is filled with 1200 tilesets.

Problem with that is that if you throttle handing out of requests based on upload queue length too strictly, people become too annoyed witht the request system, they start rendering on their own, circumventing the request system and upload tilesets unsolicitedly. Been there done that in the last days of the t at h server on dev.

This results in an ever-full upload queue with the result that no jobs of the regular request queue get ever handed out, which results in ever poorer performance of those who use the preferred channel of requesting renders. If there is a bottleneck somewhere, we have to live with throttling *somewhere*. Sucks, if that is on your client, I know.

spaetz