[Tilesathome] Proposal: Keeping tileset as one file

Florian Lohoff flo at rfc822.org
Wed Jun 25 20:23:32 BST 2008

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 03:14:34PM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> * Will tile download be done with PHP (has this been covered in
>   the benchmarks - compare executing PHP code to extract data from
>   a large tile with having Apache load the tile directly), or
>   will we have an Apache module for that?

I thought about this - Basically the apache module could be storage
agnostic. This means we get a tile name/offset/coordinates and ask a in
memory index database which returns a filename, offset and length to serve.

So the only software which needs to be storage aware would be the
indexer which takes the uploaded tileset and recreates/updates parts of
the index.

I thought about it and my idea was to let t at h clients upload tilesets as
a tar.gz. The tileserver then would simply gunzip the tar and let the
tar exist as the storage. So the indexer would read tars and the apache
module would serve from the tars.

If it makes sense to even concatenate tars to even large files needs to
be tried but the frontend code in the apache module does not need to
know.

The module could even fall through to alternative storage in case the
index does not know about the tile (transition to storage-ng)

As a starting base one could have a look at the apache mod_ziplook
which enables apache to serve from zip files directly.

http://pihl.kumpu.org/ziplook/

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                  flo at rfc822.org             +49-171-2280134
	Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little