[WelcomeWG] Messages to new mappers in Poland - analysis of their effect (part 3)

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Fri Mar 22 00:19:18 UTC 2013

Here's the next month's analysis* of Polish mappers still mapping after
being sent welcome messages (or not) after 7-11 weeks.  "Still mapping"
is defined as "submitted at least one changeset in the last month".  The
headline figues for new mappers between 2nd January and 1st February are
as follows:

Of those who were messaged, 18 of 162 are "still mapping" (11%)
Of those who not were messaged, 5 of 54 are "still mapping" (9%)

Basically (again), there's very little difference.  Although this month
the retention of mappers who were messaged is slightly higher (the
previous two analyses** showed the opposite) realistically the numbers
are so small that it's not possible to draw any conclusion as to whether
"new mapper messages" improve retention or not.

Thanks again to the Polish community who did all the work setting this
up - I'm just doing the counting here.   I'll have a look at the next
month's figures in about a month's time, and should shortly before that
also be able to look at some similar data from the Italian community
(I'll wait until then in order to make the numbers broadly comparable).

Cheers,
Andy

* Actually a day late (run on 21st of the month rather than the 20th),
not that I'd expect it to make much difference.

** For info the previous two months' analyses are here:

January:
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/welcomewg/2013-January/000005.html

February
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/welcomewg/2013-February/000011.html