[Accessibility] File formats for 3D printing or rendering

Lulu-Ann at gmx.de Lulu-Ann at gmx.de
Fri Mar 9 14:13:30 GMT 2012

Hi list!

I wrote
> > VRML is STL plus color information.
> > Both are XML formats that contain 3D coordinates of triangles that
> > represent the surface of objects plus an orientation bit (Which side is outside,
> > which inside).

Daniel wrote
> Those two have nothing to do with XML.
OK, they are not XML, they are ASCII.
Whatever, they are easy to parse.

> Where did you found, that VRML is based on STL?
"VRML is STL plus color information" was an infomation I got on Industrial Fair Hannover in 2011 at Hewlett Packard.
Seems to be a little too simplified.
I hate when you get stupid information because you are a woman.

> Maybe you can use VRML for 3D printers, but VRML can contain a lot of
> additional information that a 3D Printer cannot use. (e.g. LOD,
> Illumination Model, etc.)

You can definitely use VRML for HP 3D printers, and of course there are interfaces for many other 3D printer types.
Dropping pieces of information does not seem to be a problem, huh?

It's good to use standards.

Best regards
Lulu-Ann