[Accessibility] Accessibility evaluation (WCAG 2.1)

Robert Linder Robert.Vuj.Linder at outlook.com
Thu Oct 22 15:41:32 UTC 2020

Hello OSM,

What constitutes a truly accessible web map requires extensive user research,
however as can be seen in the Web map tools WCAG 2.1 evaluation [1]
(presented by Nic Chan at the 2020 W3C/OGC Joint Workshop Series on Maps for the Web [2]
available in video format [3] and slides [4])
there are quite a few opportunities to improve accessibility in the UI of OpenStreetMap
maps that would immediately benefit the end-user.

In the evaluation report I have deliberately not included any techniques [5]
sufficient to pass a particular Success Criterion [6], for brevity,
however I am hopeful that the community can come together, and improve the state of accessibility.
Feel free to reach out to me about any uncertainties.

[1] https://github.com/Malvoz/web-maps-wcag-evaluation/blob/master/README.md
[2] https://www.w3.org/2020/maps/
[3] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-Gx0e5Gkzg
[4] https://wcag-maps.nicchan.me/
[5] https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Techniques/
[6] https://github.com/Malvoz/web-maps-wcag-evaluation/blob/master/README.md#evaluated-success-criteria

Thanks,

Robert Linder
Member of the W3C Maps for HTML Community Group
(https://www.w3.org/community/maps4html/)