[Openstreetmap-dev] Coding standards?

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Tue Aug 2 10:00:33 BST 2005

SteveC wrote:
> re: java I was brought up to appreciate
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_notation

At the risk of starting a pointless debate about coding standards, in my
opinion Hungarian notation is done badly 95% of the time.  It just makes
code harder to read (honestly, try reading it out loud!).  Meaningful
variable names shouldn't need prefixes to tell you what type they are.

Some people think prefixes to tell you what *kind* of variable something is
might be useful though.  That was the original aim of Hungarian notation.

Joel Spolsky speaks a lot of sense on this issue:
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Wrong.html
(stuff on Hungarian notation is near the end)

Tom.