[Openstreetmap-dev] Re: Use of Cookies?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Aug 10 08:56:06 BST 2005

[Nick Whitelegg]
> Seeing though as mode and position preservation is non *essential*
> (just adds to the user experience) cookies are on balance acceptable
> I feel.  Feedback/comments?

I find cookies to be an elegant way to store user- and
session-specific variables.  I have a semi-manual setting for
accepting cookies, and would accept such cookies if their content were
readable and understandable.

Be aware that there is an upper limit to how long the content of a
cookie can be.  The limit depends on the browser.  I've seen problems
because of this when the Palantir web service store too much in the
cookie.  the web application went nuts, and we had to remove the
cookie manually.  I'm not sure were the limit is, but suspect it is