[Openstreetmap-dev] Use of Cookies?

immanuel.scholz at gmx.de immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Thu Aug 11 08:30:35 BST 2005

Hi,

> What I would like to do (and even Google Maps doesn't seem to do this -
> just tried it while searching for Curtain Road London...) is preserve user
> state. In other words, if the user navigates away from the main map page
> to, say, the instructions page, their "state" (i.e. the mode of use, and
> latitude/longitude/OS grid ref position) should be preserved so that when
> the user returns to the map page, they are presented with the same
> location in the same mode.
> Feedback/comments?

Cookies are the choice, since they don't enforce this behaviour.

People turning off cookies are aware of the fact, that the page returns to
default state the next time they visit it. More specific, they WANT a side
to reset when deleting the cookie.

Storing information server sided should be used, if you have to collect
information (as example enforced by local law.. brrr...) or when disable
cookies mean that users can't use your page correctly, so if you have to
use server stored state variables (sessions) to avoid these "You have to
turn on cookies. Piss off." - Messages, do so. But please - delete the
data after about 20 Minutes of inactivity.

Ciao, Imi.