[Openstreetmap-dev] Re: OSM map down (Internal Server Error 500on OSM.)

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Thu Aug 11 16:47:26 BST 2005

Amaury Jacquot wrote:
> SteveC wrote:
>>
>> I think you mean 'the xml looks kind of bad, with lots of trkpt's inside
>> tksegs  within trks'. And no, it isn't brilliant but 1) gzip encoding
>> will make this very small on the network and 2) Can you think of a
>> better way of doing it in gpx?
>
> yeah, sort the points, and make multipoint trackseg where nodes connect ?

This is for hand-traced nodes and line segments - there isn't currently a
way to combine line segments into connected chains (streets, if you like) in
the applet, or the new one I'm writing.  There will be a way to do this
soon, and when there is, this would make sense.

Rather than having half-finished incoherent features floating around, we're
looking at focusing on the minimum possible feature set that can make a
useful map.  Higher-order functions, like combining identical points and
chaining together connected segments with the same names into streets can be
done as post-processing steps.  I have the code to do it, if needed.

Best,

Tom.

PS Re: the applet, I'm having slight vaporware guilt :/  It's on its way, I
promise.  Hopefully launching tonight, if I don't get distracted
implementing the REST API first...