[Openstreetmap-dev] editing applet very unresponsive

Robert Merkel robert.merkel at benambra.org
Sat Aug 27 01:12:41 BST 2005

Hi there,

I'm very interested in this project and specifically the possibility of
using the data to support GPS in-car navigation software - when sufficient
data has been collected!

However, the Openstreetmap editing applet runs like cold molasses for me.  I'm using
Firefox 1.0.3 on Debian unstable/i386 (well, actually, I'm running it on
an Athlon 64 but the Firefox version is the 32-bit version running chrooted) with
the Sun Java runtime environment, version 1.5.0_03-b07.  When I click "edit this map"
it takes forever to bring up the map data, which I suppose might be partly
download time, but when you add points they don't appear until what seems like an
eternity after you clicked the mouse, and joining points together is also very, very
unresponsive.

Using the scroll buttons above the editing area seems to grind the system to a halt,
either it's seemingly hanging itself  or it's taking many seconds to minutes to
update the screen.

Are these known issues or are they specific to my setup?

                                           Robert Merkel
                                     robert.merkel at benambra.org
                                        http://benambra.org

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been
searching for evidence which could support this.
                -- Bertrand Russell