[Openstreetmap-dev] osm-editor... more details

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sat Aug 27 05:06:45 BST 2005

nick at hogweed.org wrote:

> Here are the extra details on the new version of osm-editor for
> the dev list, with particular relevance to hooking it up to a
> server e.g. the OSM server...

Honestly, how many nodes are created with this client and how many
are created with the applet?  Aren't they both dead-end projects?
A total of 3000 nodes have been created in the last week,
according to http://www.openstreetmap.org/wiki/index.php/Stats

Just like Wikipedia needs people who know ophthalmology to write
the article on ophthalmology, OSM needs people who know Glasgow to
draw the map of Glasgow.  If we are really lucky, they also own a
GPS receiver and are interested in maps.  But can we also expect
same people to know how to install the OSM editor or even a Java
plugin?  If we want the project to catch speed and scale up, I
think we need something that is as easy to start as a wiki edit
window.  I would guess that means JavaScript and AJAX.

According to the stats page, OSM gets one or two new registered
users each day.  Who are they?  Do they use the applet or the
standalone editor?  Can we say hello and welcome to them?  How?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)