[Openstreetmap-dev] osm-editor... more details

nick at hogweed.org nick at hogweed.org
Sat Aug 27 00:25:57 BST 2005

Here are the extra details on the new version of osm-editor for the dev list,
with particular relevance to hooking it up to a server e.g. the OSM server...

I have also now implemented the majority of the client side of a facility to
connect osm-editor direct to a GPX server.  Thus osm-editor will be able to
post and retrieve GPX data to a server.

In more detail, osm-editor can parse GPX embedded within an HTTP response sent
from an arbitrary remote script, and display the track segments and points
within the program alongside GPS-surveyed data.
Thus the user will be able to "check out" data from an online database such as
OpenStreetMap, and merge newly-surveyed GPS data with the online data. The
data can then be posted back to the server; thus osm-editor will be able act
as a 'one stop shop' to allow a user to read data from a GPS, edit it and
merge it with an online database such as OSM.

*However* the server side of the setup isn't implemented yet so it's not as
yet usable. (Steve - hopefully this will be compatible with the 'REST'
approach OSM is likely to be taking?)

Next thing I'll probably do is knock up a server-side prototype for
demonstration purposes. Another thing I'll probably investigate is the
viability of using GML rather than GPX as the exchange format. If GML is
quite intuitive for representing this sort of map data, it might be worth
switching. On the other hand, if it's overgeneralised and more bother than
it's work, it may not. Will have to see....

Nick