[Openstreetmap-dev] editing applet very unresponsive

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Tue Aug 30 14:38:59 BST 2005

SteveC <steve at fractalus.com>@vr.ucl.ac.uk on 28/08/2005 07:35:41

Please respond to SteveC <steve at fractalus.com>

Sent by:    openstreetmap-dev-bounces at vr.ucl.ac.uk

To:    Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se>
cc:    openstreetmap-dev at vr.ucl.ac.uk, Robert Merkel
       <robert.merkel at benambra.org>
Subject:    Re: [Openstreetmap-dev] editing applet very unresponsive

* @ 28/08/05 07:30:13 AM lars at aronsson.se wrote:
>> Tom Carden wrote:
>>
>> > Also, part of the unresponsiveness is down to the overhead of
>> > the XML-RPC API, which we hope to alleviate with a new REST API
>>
>> If the problem is that you try to transfer the coordinates of 5000
>> GPS samples, this is not going to improve by moving from one kind
>> of API to another.  You must cut down the amount of data that
>> needs to be transferred.  Producing a bitmap image of the grey GPS
>> samples on the server and transferring it as a GIF or PNG image
>> over the network should be faster.  It can then be used in the
>> applet as a background slate for drawing the black nodes and
>> lines.  If zooming and panning are locked to discrete levels, the
>> images can be cached on the server.  The cached images only need
>> to be cleared when new GPS points are uploaded.
>Thats exactly what I'm planning to do :-)

Sounds a good idea come to think of it. Will move towards this approach in
osm-editor rather than downloading the GPX from the server. This will mean
that you won't be able to edit existing data with osm-editor, but the
applet can be used for that so there isn't really the need. The idea of
osmeditor is more to prepare just-surveyed data and do a first upload.

Nick