[Openstreetmap-dev] Re: osm-editor

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Tue Jul 5 19:01:49 BST 2005

>Hi Nick

>Playing with a gpx with half a million trkpt's in it made osm-editor
>grind to a halt. feature request: cache an image or whatever to make it
>functional? :-)

Hello Steve (and anyone else interested....)

Have to admit I haven't really designed for half a million trackpoints,
more like up to four figures as that's what I work with. Will try and do it
when I get the time :-) Next thing I'm working on is a facility in Freemap
(which can be potentially extended to OpenStreetMap as a whole) to create
maps to display on your GPS unit, making use of the cGPSmapper package
(www.cgpsmapper.com). Also am keen to investigate the possibility of a rich
client based approach to web mapping using JavaScript, SVG and XML/HTTP
(see earlier post).

>Also, are there other gpx viewers for linux about? I remember at least
>one other...

There probably is for general GPX editing. However, I really wrote
osmeditor from scratch for a specific purpose: to allow the user to not
only edit GPX and download data from a GPS, but also to section off GPS
tracks into segments of different types - footpath, cycle path, road,
motorway etc.

BTW Freemap now shows possibly the best pubs in Central Hampshire and
walking routes between them :-)

Nick