[Openstreetmap-dev] Re: Street Names

Ben Gimpert ben at somethingmodern.com
Sun May 29 12:30:34 BST 2005

On 28 May 2005, at 18:33, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Ben]
>> ...the key named "name", associated with streets, is now visible in
>> the editor.
>
> Cool.  I can see them, but it is hard to understand which street they
> refer to.

Yup, the next step will rotating the street names to match their street
(segment), and also choosing where on the street to display the names.
If you look at the code, you'll see the current implementation is a
quick-n'-dirty averaging of the latitudes and longitudes.

> Are there support for showing location names as well? 'W 51st St' seem
> to be a point and not a street.  Is that correct?

Nope, "W 51 st St" is indeed a full street name -- "west fifty-first
street".

> I guess it is impossible to edit the names using the applet?  Is this
> correct?

Yes for now. That's another thing on our TODO list.

>> Both our applet and map viewer have slowed down (again), until
>> someone stares at the SQL queries in getLines(). But I think it's a
>> fair tradeoff.
>
> Eh, yeah.  I noticed.  And the map drawing has been coming and going
> the whole day.  I tried asking the people in #geo on irc.oftc.net, but
> no-one there knew.

Sorry about that. The server was in a flaky state for a little while
during the deployment of the street-name drawing feature.

	Ben