[Openstreetmap-dev] Why would I want to edit my GPX file?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Tue May 31 09:34:57 BST 2005

[Nick Whitelegg]
> Would be good for the standalone app, as the user could edit their
> GPX file and then, when they're done, upload all their tracks and
> points to openstreetmap via xmlrpc.

I've seen you mentioning editing GPX files before uploading them
several times.  But I haven't seen any explanation why this is
desirable.  I would guess the "raw" points in OSM should be taken
directly from the GPS, to be able to reasonably estimate the
inaccuracy of the measurements.  If the user edit the GPX file before
uploading it, the inaccuracy is no longer known.

Can you explain why it is a good idea to edit GPX files before
uploading them?