[Openstreetmap-dev] Why would I want to edit my GPX file?

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Tue May 31 20:01:38 BST 2005

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 09:34, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Nick Whitelegg]
>
> > Would be good for the standalone app, as the user could edit their
> > GPX file and then, when they're done, upload all their tracks and
> > points to openstreetmap via xmlrpc.
>
> I've seen you mentioning editing GPX files before uploading them
> several times.  But I haven't seen any explanation why this is
> desirable.  I would guess the "raw" points in OSM should be taken
> directly from the GPS, to be able to reasonably estimate the
> inaccuracy of the measurements.  If the user edit the GPX file before
> uploading it, the inaccuracy is no longer known.
> Can you explain why it is a good idea to edit GPX files before
> uploading them?

The reasons for editing GPX files include:

a) removing bits you don't want, e.g. if you diverted off the path to visit a
pub or a tea shop, etc.

b) removing obviously inaccurate points,

c) being able to specify the type of each path (trail) or road you walk along.
A GPX can be segmented into major road, minor road, path, bridleway (horse
trail) etc.

Being able to make these changes with a standalone app rather than a web
interface means you can work locally on your own machine without the
possibility of network slowdowns if you're editing the data "live" through a
web interface. It also means that you can make changes to a GPX, save it on
your local machine, then come back to it later. Having done this you can then
upload relatively "clean" data to openstreetmap.

Nick