[Openstreetmap-dev] new XML schema discussion moved

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Tue Oct 4 15:40:40 BST 2005

Hi,

> I think the most important thing is go with one option (GPX or the new
> schema) and go with it.

Well, I don't see a reason why the server should not be able to serve
several different standards.

We need one robust fitting format for our major clients (e.g. osm-editor),
but if it is not that hard to support an GPX output for those who want to
use a GPX Visualizer out there (udig?), why not export stuff in this too?

The module converting the data from the one main format to several others
could be externized to not bloat and complicate the server code.. (in fact
you cannot forbid e.g. gpsbabel to write a importer for out XML schema
anyway ;-)

> As I said before, human-readability is my principal concern but give me a
> day or so to think about it....

I've never tried to read a gpx-file by hand. Have you?

I don't think most people will understand lat/lon values good enough to
get a picture from raw gps-data..

But on the other hand, I am no cartograph and I HAVE seen people who look
at 48.105882, 11.487332 and say: Ah, yes.. nice part of Munich! ;-) Still
I don't think looking at XML will be the preferred way of interpreting
exoports from the server...

(and on the other hand.. my scheme is not THAT hard to read.)

Ciao, Imi.