[Openstreetmap-dev] Re: [Openstreetmap] upload, applet

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Thu Oct 6 13:47:35 BST 2005

> On 10/5/05, Alex Willmer <alex at moreati.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Note that the
>> applet (for me atleast) is sluggish, you must hover over a node for a
>> moment before dragging the segment, or releasing the mouse button to
>> complete a join.
>

> It's pretty snappy for me on my laptop (1.6 centrino, 512Mb RAM, Windows
> 2000, Firefox 1.5, Sun JVM 1.5), but I realise not everyone is using a
> high
> spec machine. There are surely some optimisations we can do, and profiling
> is on my list of things to do.
>
> Can you let me know what platform you're using, and what spec of machine?
> Also roughly what region you're editing? (ie a link to the edit page).

1.4 Centrino, 768 MB RAM, Ubuntu Linux 5.04, Sun JVM 1.4.2, Firefox 1.0.x

When using the segment tool there is a small delay between the mouse
pointer hitting a node, at that node highlighting. Or having started a
segment, the translucent line follows the mouse pointer with a noticable
lag, the line appears to redraw with a rate of 1-5 fps.

Trying briefly just now on a Windows XP with JRE 1.5, the performance
feels similar.

The url of the area I'm editting is:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/edit-map.html?lat=52.5168085733979&lon=-1.8&scale=0.000118518518518519

Regards