[Openstreetmap-dev] osm-editor on Windows progress

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Sat Oct 8 13:37:32 BST 2005

Have now got osm-editor compiled on Windows. It was a bit of a job porting
it: Qt4 is significantly different to Qt3 so several methods needed to be
renamed, etc.

Most features now work, except:

a) Landsat doesn't work for some reason. This is not a network issue, as I
can grab tracks off the Freemap server fine (both are simple HTTP requests
using cURL).

b) The application won't yet talk to the GPS. Haven't figured out why;
gpsbabel under windows will talk to the GPS, and the version of jeeps in
osm-editor is now the version from gpsbabel, which should support Windows.

On another point: I had one hell of a job trying to get cURL to link in to
osm-editor. It turned out I needed to compile all modules which used cURL
with the directive CURL_STATICLIB set. Linking static and dynamic libraries
under Windows seems to be really weird and complex compared to Linux (at
least under mingw); I unsuccessfully attempted to link the libxml++ library
to "fmapedit" (the forerunner of osm-editor) some months back and gave up
because of linker errors I could not resolve; could find little help on the
net.

So hopefully a Windows version of osm-editor should appear in the very near
future. I can give people an .exe and source right now if you're
interested.

Nick