[Openstreetmap-dev] Re: WGS84/UTM/Lambda... Projection library

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Tue Sep 20 21:17:37 BST 2005

> Hi,

> The last days, I was searching for a good java library for coordinate
> projection from WGA84 to UTM, Lamda, Gauß/Krüger.. maybe even with
> differenc reference ellipsoids. I found some not very promising links
> and ended up porting the osm-editor Jeeps wgs->utm projection code.

> Does anyone know a good (and GPL-compatible) library to use for this
> stuff?

> I'll take a look at http://freegis.org/ this evening, but maybe some of
> you have experience alright? ;-)

> I tried the following libraries:

> geotools http://www.geotools.org
> Too big to use as whole, too deep involved to exctract.
So I work on geotools, but am definitely not the projection expert.  But
our projection expert recently extracted out the projection code from the
main jar, so it sits in it's own module, for use by people exactly like
you.  It ends up about a meg in size (though you will need some jar to
define the wkt of your projections, this is where my knowledge gets
fuzzy).  It's on trunk/2.2, and the 2.2M0 that's out now did not include
it.  If you're interested I can send you the jar directly from the latest
svn.

best regards,

Chris