[Openstreetmap-dev] More on GPX schema

immanuel.scholz at gmx.de immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Thu Sep 22 16:42:47 BST 2005

Hi,

> my point is just that predefined keys as part of the XML namespace are
> easier to handle

There is already one key/value, that made it out of the
extensions-list: "name". ;-)

> on the other hand that would result in a new XML schema for every newly
> defined key ...

And every application parser has to be altered. (Or has to be coded more
complex in the first time to understand moving targets).

And while definig the scheme, you have to be extremly careful about what
to select here, since all this must match to all users. As example,
somewhere in the list mentioned, that in Britain, streets are typed by
traffic in "A-roads, B-roads etc...". In Germany, it is not determined by
traffic but by static definitions. So if you introduce a "traffictype" key
in the static set of keys, this makes no sense in countries like germany.

I'd like the very loose structure of wiki: A wiki only provide page names,
page text and links to pages. The rest is up to the user to make a
suitable structure within the pages. Yes, there exist such things as
"templates" for wiki-pages. These are not enforced. If they just don't
match the need, they can be discarded, altered etc on a per-page base.

A xml-scheme for some key names can't be discarded.

Don't get me wrong. Defining a good core set of types is a good idea. As
guidiance. I just don't see the point why they have to be enforced.

My favourite is still:

<extensions>
  <property key="car" value="yes" />
  <property key="traffic" value="A" />
  <property key="Gauß/Krüger" value="RD83" />
</extensions>

Ciao, Imi.