[Openstreetmap-dev] More on GPX schema

nick at hogweed.org nick at hogweed.org
Fri Sep 23 01:19:57 BST 2005

> my point is just that predefined keys as part of the XML namespace are
> easier to handle

I know what you mean, in many ways it makes sense to have a defined <class>
tag for road class for example, because that's so fundamental...

> on the other hand that would result in a new XML schema for every newly
> defined key ...

but that is the problem, as you say it wouldn't allow users to define new keys
(without changing the schema everytime).

A related point.. is it actually in OSM clients' interest for users be able to
permanently edit the names of keys? Might that cause problems, for example,
if a client application is expecting to read a key called "foot" and someone
changes it to "pedestrian", the client app would not be able to find the key?

Maybe it would make sense for key names to be editable only for a "consensus"
period after a new key is added to OSM, to allow people to agree on a name?

Nick