[Openstreetmap-dev] Proposal for an own xml format

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Sun Sep 25 00:14:49 BST 2005

* @ 23/09/05 06:00:38 PM immanuel.scholz at gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> namespace = osm
>
> <dataset>
>   <nodes>
>     <node id="12345" lat="42.0" lon="23.0" />

<--- snip -->

Looks great.

The programming perspective is you want an object you just add nodes,
segments and so on to and then ask for its xml. This is roughly what
happens at the moment, and it's easy to change the xml it spits out to
something like this.

Why don't we work out an example XML on the wiki?

> - I think, the structure is very simple to parse. The tag's depth is
> static, the tag names are static. And the whole structure is very strict
> defined (optional tags makes SAX-parser much harder to write).

No kidding.

have fun,