[Openstreetmap-dev] Proposal for an own xml format

Frank Mohr f_mohr at yahoo.de
Mon Sep 26 16:38:13 BST 2005

Niccolo Rigacci wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm reading the list because in spare time I collect GPS data of
> national roads to build free geodata.
>
> This is a part of what I surveyed till now:
> http://paros.rigacci.org/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/var/www/maps/strade.map&mode=browse
> (please zoom-in near Florence).

looks great

> I'm looking for a way to upload my (cleaned) data to OSM, but
> national roads are a bit different from city streets:
>
> - Many nodes per road.

streets in osm have the following structure:

- nodes
- 2 nodes are connected to a line
- several lines belon to a street

> - Wish an editor to average several survey tracks into a
>   "cleaned" one.

me too ;-)
i had a look at MapGeneration
(http://mapgeneration.berlios.de/tiki/tiki-index.php)
looks not to bad with few test data sets,
but it gets unusable with their complete test data
currently it lacks a import for formats other than NMEA
and an export function

> - 3d (elevation) and 4d (time) are very interesting to build
>   altimetry and speed tables.
>

>>    <node id="12345" lat="42.0" lon="23.0" />
>>    <node id="15" lat="17.01234" lon="33.6" />
>

> I suggest to include 4d from the beginning: little effort, but
> great advantage.

again me too ...
elevation would help to detect bridges

i had a look at your gis:download page
how do you edit the VMAP0 data?
i found some bad bugs in my region in VMAP0
(cities that are only separated by a river are combined to one city
and one city nearby gets the name of one of the cities
ex. Ludwigshafen/Mannheim, Mainz/Wiesbaden)

frank