[OSM-dev] Applet hangs

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Mon Apr 10 09:27:39 BST 2006

> On 4/8/06, Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se> wrote:
>> Lately, it has sometimes happened to me that the edit applet just
>> hangs and doesn't respond.  It happened when I was placing new
>> dots, and at the next click there was no dot.  I cannot switch to
>> the line segment tool or any other tool.  Next thing, after I
>> switch to another window and back, the toolbar isn't rendered.

When this happen again, can you please have a look at your java console
for exceptions?

Steve had problems with some pre-1.4.2 java version (I think it was
blackdown 1.4.2rc1) not reproducibly with my 1.4.2 release here.

> I've had some similar experiences lately as well. Also, when adding
> points or lines, they have sometimes appeared as I've gone along, then
> suddenly a number of them disappear in the middle.

Then the server had definetly problems. The points are first added "at
best effort" and aren't uploaded to the server yet. Then in background,
the applet tries to upload them.

However, if any problem (like busy server) occours and an item could not
be uploaded, the whole queue is dropped and all nodes inserted afterwards
disappear. This is necessary, because you could have added line segments
depending on the added nodes and these cannot be uploaded before their
nodes are successfull added. (I know, in theory there could be some
dependency check and not the whole queue but only dependencies to the
failed object could be flushed, but I hadn't time to implement something
like this).

Ciao, Imi.