[OSM-dev] Re: [OSM-talk] Prototype OSM renderer showing road types, place names and contours

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Tue Apr 11 15:03:50 BST 2006

Sent by:        dev-bounces at openstreetmap.org
To:     dev at openstreetmap.org

>(Switched to dev).

>Is your code in Trac so we can take a look?

Yes - it's in the "freemap" directory. BTW before I do anything else I'm
going to tidy up the code, there's a lot of experimental stuff in there at
the moment....

>I think since you've done the hard bit (deciding what to draw, how to
>draw it) then converting it to Ruby shouldn't be a big job at all.

>Would it be any faster?  Probably not.  Would the memory overhead be
>reduced?  Who knows.  Will it be worth trying?  I'd say finish your
>PHP version and we'll convert it if it's a problem.

I'm not averse to converting it to Ruby, so if there is a need to do it
I'd be happy to myself. On the other hand I am keen to extend the features
of the existing code (e.g. customisation - see Etienne's post)

Nick