[OSM-dev] GRR!

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Wed Apr 12 11:05:48 BST 2006

On 4/12/06, Ben Gimpert <ben at somethingmodern.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, unless someone is inspired to optimize my grotty street
> merging code, I will disable it on the import.  This means that the 15
> perfectly contiguous *but separate* streets called "Lake Shore Drive" in
> Chicago will end up in OSM as 15 perfectly contiguous ways...  Such is
> the quality of the TIGER dataset.  Maybe that's why this is a wiki,
> right? ;)

I think that's OK for now - ways in OSM are going to be more like this
(bundles of similar segments) than perfect (collections of all
segments in a street) anyway.

Merging contiguous ways with the same name would be a useful OSM
script to have - perhaps something that people could develop as a
post-processing step for the planet.osm export as it matures.

Tom.