[OSM-dev] GRR!

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 13 09:59:47 BST 2006

> To kick off the import, I need a proper Linux and Ruby environment.  The
> machine must be up 24/7 (which knocks out my home laptop), and it must
> have at least 10GB of space (which knocks out my lovely Bytemark VM).
> The import will probably run for a week-or-so, but should not tax the
> machine much.  Any volunteers?

It could take some time to pin down a machine for a week, so how about splitting up the task?
A dozen or two of us could easily offer a few hours. The Tiger data is naturally broken down by state/county.

I'll also offer the obvious concerns. If several contributors run the process at the same time, it's an even harder hit on the database. If something goes wrong on one of the imports, it will be a degree harder to control and debug.

Also, would there be significant performance improvement if this import connected to the database, and ran sql queries directly?