[OSM-talk] Re: [OSM-dev] Rules file for OSM renderer

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Thu Apr 20 13:46:24 BST 2006

* @ 20/04/06 11:44:36 AM nick at hogweed.org wrote:

> > > I guess Steve's the one to ask there.
> >
> > Yes sure, any time. It works in mercator right?
>
> It works with the slippy map so I guess so.

cool wasnt sure if it was OSGB

> > What will we do with landsat? does it look nice with your maps?
>
> See http://nick.dev.openstreetmap.org/test/index.php. At the moment Landsat is
> grabbed from jpl.nasa.gov so it's slower than it need be.

ok... we can point it at our landsat cache

> > what
> > happens with SRTM data?
>
> We'd need to download it to the server. At the moment only UK SRTM is on the
> dev server. Obviously it's a lot of data but if we got Europe (for the
> moment) that would cover the most-surveyed areas. They can be got from:
>
> ftp://e0srp01u.ecs.nasa.gov/srtm/version2/SRTM3/Eurasia/
>
> What I'll do is grab some continental Europe height data and put it on the dev
> server, to check my renderer works ok outside the UK, then let you know when
> it's ready to go 'live'

will it fail gracefully if files arn't present?

Can you make it only render streets at zoom => 11 or whatever it is?
Also, maybe do the api call on a slightly bigger bounding box?

I'm slightly worried about maintaining multiple sets of SQL etc but I
suppose if the php is there we can rework it in to ruby and use the API,
and can use GD/magick in exactly the same way too.

have fun,