[OSM-talk] Re: [OSM-dev] Rules file for OSM renderer

nick at hogweed.org nick at hogweed.org
Thu Apr 20 13:19:50 BST 2006

> > What I'll do is grab some continental Europe height data and put it on
> > the dev server, to check my renderer works ok outside the UK, then let
> > you know when it's ready to go 'live'
>
> will it fail gracefully if files arn't present?

I can make it do so.
I'm in the process of downloading .hgt files for the following bounding boxes:

10W,40N,10E,60N (a good part of mainland Europe)
10E,50N,20E,60N (a good part of Scandinavia, covers the main surveyed areas)

...but just need the "unzip" package installing on the dev server to unzip
the .hgt files :-)

> Can you make it only render streets at zoom => 11 or whatever it is?
> Also, maybe do the api call on a slightly bigger bounding box?

Should be easily possible.

> I'm slightly worried about maintaining multiple sets of SQL etc but I
> suppose if the php is there we can rework it in to ruby and use the API,
> and can use GD/magick in exactly the same way too.

The main thing that concerns me about converting the whole thing to Ruby is
converting the contour generation code (that took me quite some time to do!).
However a combination of a PHP graphical renderer plus the API to get the
data seems a good compromise.

Nick