[OSM-dev] Re: [OSM-talk] Re: Data types; indexes etc.

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 17:24:06 BST 2006

On 4/27/06, Nick Hill <nick at nickhill.co.uk> wrote:
> > As I asked before - why are you storing each point in the database?  Why
> > dont you store edges (homogeneous lines)?  It seems this would make
> > your database much more efficient if you did this.  But, I dont really
> > know what your datamodel is.
>
> Steve answered this. Although I don't understand the rationale either way.

Actually storing bboxes around segments instead of points would help
the rendering code. You would always get all the segments that are
supposed to be in that tile you want to render.

Sure you would have to weight that against storing 2x the data for the
BBXs, abit more since we have more segments than nodes.

Should rendering DB be the same as editing DB? Experience (wikipedia)
says no, doesn't it...

--
/Erik