[OSM-dev] About rendering and editing databases

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Fri Apr 28 08:52:19 BST 2006

Hi,

> Should rendering DB be the same as editing DB? Experience (wikipedia)
> says no, doesn't it...

I'd say we should have many rendering engines on top of many replica
databases and one main database (with editing capabilities and a simple
rendering). This way, most (if not all) read requests will draw from the
backuped databases while it is still possible to verify your latest change
in the main database.

This is the current way that the development goes: Alternative renderers
popping up (Nick's freemap, osmarender, gpsdrive...) since the first
backup was available.

What we need is an automated and more frequent update for those
applications. This will hopefully come together with the next API or the
one after the next. (We need SOOO many other nice things too ;-).

Ciao, Imi.