[OSM-dev] Re: PS: Re: New map renderer ready to go "live"

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Thu Apr 27 18:18:31 BST 2006

On 4/27/06, Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk> wrote:

> a) I put the black lines back in to test something. They can easily go.

If you use the firefox web developer extension it can add borders to
images in one click.  Good for debugging.  Loads of other useful stuff
too.

> b) I'll test it in the context of the OSM home page. It will inevitably
> need my version of tile.js though (I have stripped off a lot of
> apparently-redundant code, cleaned up the API and added some extra stuff -
> lat/lon to x/y conversion - anyhow)

Ooh - sounds good.  I couldn't get that working.  Can you convert
mouse clicks to lot/lon?  Sounds like exactly what we need to get pins
etc working.

> c) Not sure about Safari. Works in Konqueror though, which uses the same
> engine.

When you've got it running in the openstreetmap.org template, give us
all a shout and we'll give it a thorough test in different browsers.
Should do this before we go live.

> d) Haven't tested on any zoom levels less detailed than about 9. It does
> draw less detail at less-detailed zoom levels though. It will be a simple
> job not to grab *any* D/B stuff at zooms < 9, say.

Yes, you'll need to do this or it will just hang at larger scales.

> Might be good to coincide the launch of the new renderer with the new
> servers next week? (assuming I get it all sorted by then)

Perhaps, but perhaps better to wait a few days and then we'll know if
the cause of any problems is new machine or new code :)  Let's launch
before IoW though, then we can see it taking shape including tags etc.

Are your default set of tags that affect drawing listed somewhere easy
to find?  Would be good to link them from the applet, and to update
the applet to do the same thing.

Best,

Tom.