[OSM-dev] Pointers for API documentation?

Dan Karran dan at karran.net
Fri Apr 28 22:53:52 BST 2006

On 4/27/06, joshua <joshua at willowisp.net> wrote:

> My name is Joshua Layne - I am a user and list reader of roadmap (an open source map/gps viewer).  There have been some enhancements made to this program by others that allow for GPS path recording and annotation within the roadmap framework (perhaps similar to the Qt based app mentioned on your site).  roadmap uses processed tiger data to generate its maps, and as I am in california - I should be happy :)  But in many counties, the census data is inaccurate and I would love to be able to 'correct these paths' while using them (only while stopped at lights, etc... :) and then upload the corrected 'shifts' - openstreetmap seems to be a very good fit for this.  roadmap has a plugin architecture that would probably allow for an 'openstreetmap' plugin, whereby users could upload their annotated paths directly from the program.

There's an ongoing project to import the TIGER data into
Openstreetmap, so it'll be easy for anyone to go in then and change
the information.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/TIGER

> Is there interest in this from your project?  If so, are there documented APIs for uploading (again, perhaps from the Qt-based system)?  I would very much appreciate any pointers to existing docs, etc... and also a feel for whether this is a good fit with your project.

Have you seen the REST API page on the wiki? There's documentation on
there for most of the interfaces.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/REST

Cheers,
Dan