[OSM-dev] Just read about AJAX...

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Sun Apr 30 23:24:29 BST 2006

We using XMLHttpRequest directly, right? And we had indeed Problems with
different browser behaviour? ;-)

But hey - we are hard men!

from http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/06/09/rails_ajax.html

-----------
How to Use Ajax in Your Web Application

The hard way to use Ajax in your web app is to write your own custom
JavaScript that directly uses the XMLHttpRequest object's API. By doing
this, you have to deal with the idiosyncrasies of each browser.

An easier way is to use one of several JavaScript libraries that provide
higher-level Ajax services and hide the differences between browsers.
Libraries such as DWR, Prototype, Sajax, and Ajax.NET are all good choices.

The easiest way of all is to use the built-in Ajax facilities of Ruby on
Rails. In fact, Rails makes Ajax so easy that for typical cases it's no
harder to use Ajax than it is not to!

Ciao, Imi.

PS: So anyone has experience with rails?