[OSM-dev] Consensus on areas?

Nicola Ranaldo ranaldo at unina.it
Mon Aug 28 14:46:24 BST 2006

> Well; i would care. ANd my preference would really be to have areas being a
> list of nodes.
> This sounds to me like the apropriate datastructure for area data.

A list of nodes is not sufficient. You  need an *ordered* list of nodes.
As the community prefers not rigid formalized data structures, the only way to
get an ordered list of nodes is via software sourcing from a list of
segments.

About areas i think *actually* their definitions is the same of the ways.
If we plan to have a different definition we could separate them.
For example area could be a recursive set of subareas you can add or subtract
from the shape, to create holes, ring and other kind of complex objects.

	Niko