[OSM-dev] New version of tiles at home

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 19:45:32 GMT 2006

On 12/5/06, James R. Glasgow <james at jrglasgow.com> wrote:

> 80n wrote:
> > A new version of the tiles at home client is now available.
> >
> > The main changes are: - Different rules files are used for each
> > zoom level.  Levels 12 and 13 have been modified to make major
> > roads more visible and town names are now big enough to read. -
> > Multiple instances of tiles at home can now be run simultaneously.
> > Those of you with dual processors will now be able to contribute
> > twice as much. - The rendering stage is skipped for blank tiles,
> > areas with sparse data will be processed much quicker. - A new
> > .conf file replaces secret.txt.  Example versions are provided for
> > Linux and Windows, so it should be easier to get it going on
> > Windows. - If a tile is too large/complex to download from OSM it
> > will attempt to downoad the tile in smaller chunks
> >
> > When you install this update you will need to discard your old
> > secret.txt file and add your download/upload account details to
> > tilesAtHome.conf.
> >
> > 80n

> I am having a problem with this new tiles at home script. when I run
>
> $ ./tilesGen.pl
>
> all I get is
>

> Downloading: Request from server done, 23 bytes
> OK, got something... (from the "grow" server module)
> Doing zoom level 12, location 2116, 1380
> Doing area around 50.485396,6.020508
> Downloading: Map data to data-4971.osm done, 0 bytes
> No data at this location
> Trying smaller slices...
> Downloading: Map data to data-4971-0.osm done, 0 bytes
> No data here either

This can happen if the server is sick or very slow.

It first tries to dowload the whole tile.  If that times out (which can
happen for complex tiles) then it will try to download the tile in 10
chunks.  If any one of those fails then it gives up.

The other possibility is that you have not entered your download username
and password correctly in tilesAtHome.conf.  Remember that @ should be
written as %40 and don't put any whitespace in there:

Correct:
OsmUsername=yourname%40yourdomain.com

Incorrect:
OsmUsername   =   yourname at yourdomain.com

80n

and then it stops.  Is this because there is just no data for this