[Openstreetmap-dev] Re: [Openstreetmap] cache of editor applet background?

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Mon Jan 23 10:57:20 GMT 2006

> Oh cool, that code could be useful. Is it in svn?

http://www.openstreetmap.org/trac/browser/javascript

tile-cache-helper.js has the goodies - it's just a stripped down version
of the main loop in tiles.js - at the moment it just does document.write,
but the idea was it would be triggered by the applet periodically.

Is there a web interface to squid's cache management?  If not, should we
write one?  I know you can force-refresh a tile using a web browser, but I
don't know if you can automatically trigger the same request using JS.
Possibly it's just an HTTP header that you can write into an
XmlHttpRequest or something?

> I think we can normalize these two tiling schemes. Set both to use the
> same level of precision and same formulas for projection.

That sounds sensible - the main thing I noticed was the difference between
string representations of floats in Java and Javascript in the generated
URLs... that's probably quite easy to fix, and might be all that needs to
happen (not looked at Steve's tiling code yet).

> Or alternately, use a tile indexing scheme w/o reference to lat/long.

Best just to wait on (or assist with) the landsat one you've mentioned and
then align with that?

Tom.