[Openstreetmap-dev] Returning the whole data instead of the id.

Tommy Persson tpe at ida.liu.se
Tue Jan 31 23:24:44 GMT 2006

> From: Immanuel Scholz <immanuel.scholz at gmx.de>
> > Well, how could you not use it?  It is the only way to get the id for
> > a node you have created.
>
> Maybe the client is throwing away the info and reloading the data anyway? ;-)

Ah, you can implement it that way but it is so inefficient so it
didn't occur to me.

> To update the intern data representation. If uploading a new node, the offline
> client has to GET this note after every PUT to update its data. With my
> suggestion, this GET is implicit ;)

Still, you have to do a GET before you do the PUT to be able to merge
the tags.  So the internal representation should be pretty updated.

> > And shouldn't the rounding effect be very small?
>
> Hopeful.. yes. But that's not the point, isn't it? A difference is a
> difference.

Well if the difference doesn't matter then you do not need to know
about it.  But, OK, I can see a minor advantage to getting the rounded
values.

/Tommy