[OSM-dev] Ways on the new renderer... maybe usable after all!

James Mastros james at mastros.biz
Sat Jul 1 10:24:43 BST 2006

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 06:30:02PM +0200, Lars Aronsson wrote:
> > Removing the historical data from the tables will be a good
> > start (and we keep on comming back to this).
>
> I agree that this would be a good idea anyway, but it's not a
> solution because the historic data is perhaps only 50% of the
> database.  And we need to remove 99% of our current time lag.

The problem isn't the historical data being there, and needing to be skipped
by the database.  That's what databases are for, and they're reasonably good
at it.  The problem is that the process of determining if data is historical
or not is very difficult.  That needs to be fixed, or everything that pulls
data out of the database will continue to be slow as all hell.

How many places are there that write data into the database?

     -=- James Mastros