[OSM-dev] Slippy map way forward -- OpenLayers and/or Mapstraction?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Sat Jul 1 14:09:43 BST 2006

(Forgot to send to list.)

On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 02:54:25PM +0200, Erik Johansson wrote:
> On 7/1/06, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at crschmidt.net> wrote:

> >all
> >>
> >> Have anyone made a Squid backed WMS server? As far as I know Mapserver
> >> has no support for Cache control.
> >
> >There is no reason that you can't set cache timeouts using mod_cache --
> >I do this on most of my WMS services. This makes them cachable by
> >browsers and squid.
>
> You mean as in setting a 48h timeout, that's easy to do in Squid. But
> can you check if a BBOX has been updated?

No. This is one of the long-term existing problems with OSM tiles in
general though, so this isn't new to using a 'real WMS':

  http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/121

This is part of the reason why I mentioned that heading towards a
file-cache, where the location of tiles is on disk and therefore easily
under control (rather than depending on tools external to squid to
expire cache) would probably be a good step.

Does that answer your question? Sorry I'm not being very helpful...

--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer