[OSM-dev] Ways on the new renderer... maybe usable after all!

nick at hogweed.org nick at hogweed.org
Sun Jul 2 09:11:03 BST 2006

On Friday 30 June 2006 17:28, Tom Carden wrote:
> On 30/06/06, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at crschmidt.net> wrote:
> > It might also be worthwhile rendering higher zoom levels against the
> > planet.osm dataset (and making this clear to users!) -- this would allow
> > for the higher-level rendering to be done more quickly, since it's
> > against an already existing, seldom changing dataset, and if people want
> > better accuracy, they can zoom in further. If this path were followed,
> > then the cache for the higher level tiles could be set to be 30 days
> > instead of 48 hours, and then when planet.osm was created and processed,
> > the older dataset would have to be cleared from the squid cache.
>
> That is a really good idea.  Nick - your original prototypes for this
> pulled data out of tables built from planet.osm, right?  So all that's
> needed is to put this on the main OSM server and branch your code.

Yes, that's correct. The "Freemap" version of the renderer (in PHP) is
designed to query and render a version of the database with no historical
information. We could either use this "as-is" (pros: it's ready :-)  ) or I
could convert it to Ruby/RMagick (pros: antialiasing). What do we want to do?

Moving back to what started this thread, even though database optimisations
are important long term, I still think we should keep the new renderer - with
my latest code for ways - on the server, as people who have been surveying
will probably (well, I speak for myself anyhow) be prepared to wait to see a
tagged map of their area.

Nick