[OSM-dev] lack of server coders (was: London Underground stations?)

Ben Gimpert ben at somethingmodern.com
Tue Jul 4 13:19:21 BST 2006

Hi OSM,

I don't want to chime in on *all* the complaints being raised, but I
would like to consider a couple:

I agree with Imi that the "privacy crutch" has become a bit absurd.
Therefore, I ask that the community respond to this message with a yea
or nea on their inclusion on a "white list" of those who don't give a
shit if the NSA knows they were at Starbucks at 9:37am this morning.

More formally, I hereby publicly announce that every single OSM entity I
have ever modified or contributed, and every entity I *will* ever modify
or contribute, may be freely associated with my "identity" (i.e. email
address) by anyone, at any time.

If you are also tired of the privacy crutch -- I'm talking to you, Imi
and Christopher -- please consider agreeing the statement above. My
lifestyle is just not interesting enough for me to wear an OSM tin hat.

I also agree that installing and configuring a local development server
is extremely difficult, and this is a significant impediment to more
developers working on the project.

Now, as for Steve taking down the server -- I don't mind if he shits on
and then kicks the server into The Thames without telling anyone.  Until
someone else steps forward to volunteer as OSM Systems Administrator,
the intermittence of availability is something we must to acomodate.

As for the very harsh accusation of hoarding the project, we should
remember that Steve is not the only one possibly empire building.  Over
a *month* ago, I asked for SVN commit permissions to one of OSM's sister
projects but the request has met with definitive silence.

		A black kettle,
		Ben