[OSM-dev] Limitation on downloading ways via /map API Call

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Mon Jul 10 13:07:43 BST 2006

On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 10:50:54AM +0200, Raphaël Jacquot wrote:
> Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> > In the meantime, all developers should be aware that downloading data
> > via the /map API call will only show a maximum of about 450 segments. If
> > a way has this many segments, it may be beneficial to your users to
> > either mark it as 'incomplete' in your local dataset (so you don't
> > upload the bad data back to OSM) or fetch the complete way using the
> > /way API call, which doesn't have the same limitation.
>
> how about modifying the API to only state which ways are available in
> the area (and their tags) and not give any segments, thus forcing the
> use of the /way API call ?

That's a less efficient mechanism that basically replicates the
functionality that a patch I offered creates, only it adds additional
server-side processing to a process that SteveC already considers to be
"a significant slowdown" (That is, making each API call call the
get_multi SQL).

--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer