[OSM-dev] Annotations/OpenLayers demo

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Sun Jul 16 12:47:12 BST 2006

Have done some more work on the annotations demo at

http://nick.dev.openstreetmap.org/openlayers

As well as adding an annotation (in 'Annotate' mode), the OpenLayers tile
engine now fetches annotations from the server and displays them as markers
on the map; you can find out details on the annotation by clicking on it.

The annotations are sent back from the server in a simple XML format, inspired
by GeoRSS; I am not using GeoRSS itself as apparently it is not designed to
be used with tiles and bounding boxes. You can get an idea of the format by
entering this URL:

http://nick.dev.openstreetmap.org/openlayers/markers3.php?bbox=-1,51,0,52

I started developing this originally with free-map.org.uk in mind; however it
could also form the basis for an OSM annotations layer. Does anyone
(particularly Steve) have any comments/feedback on this? Or
suggestions/modifications for OSM?

Nick