[OSM-dev] Standard place for planet.osm

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Mon Jul 24 16:39:55 BST 2006

[Joerg Ostertag]
> This wouldn't mean that if anyone wants to have these files
> somewhere else he cannot move them.
>
> Any suggestions for a good location _other_ than the current one:
>  ~/.gpsdrive/MIRROR/osm/planet.osm

What about agreeing on three locations, one in /usr/share/ for the
static version included in some system package, one in /var/ for the
automatically downloaded update, and one in ~/ for those without write
access to /var/.  I suggest these locations:

  /usr/share/openstreetmap.org/planet.txt
  /var/lib/openstreetmap.org/planet.txt
  ~/.openstreetmap.org/planet.txt

Programs should look for them in priority order, the last one first.

Friendly,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen